Walking Tour of Carlow Town
1 Carlow Courthouse at the end of Dublin Street is where our tour
begins. Considered to be one of the finest courthouses in the
country it was designed by William Vitruvius Morrison in 1830. The
Courthouse, based on the Temple of Llissus in Athens, gives the
impression of a temple set on a high plinth, but this obscures the
fact that the basement is a maze of cells and dungeons. A cannon
from the Crimean War stands on the steps.
Walk south-east down College Street to St. Patrick's College.