Walking Tour of Carlow Town
10. The Croppies Grave. A handsome monument rises above the site of an old sand pit where in the aftermath of the disastrous rising of the United Irishmen in 1798, the bodies of 640 slaughtered Carlow insurgents were thrown and covered in quicklime in a mass grave. The Croppies was the name given to the United Irishmen after the habit of cropping their hair to mark their allegiance.
Proceed to the Town Park, cross the Millennium Bridge over the River Barrow, go through the car park into Haymarket.