Ballaghmore Castle (Borris-in-Ossory)
Ballaghmore Castle was the chief seat of the Mac Gillpatricks,
Lords of Upper Ossory. Strategically placed on the Bealach Mor,
the great road to Munster, it was partially destroyed by
Cromwellians in 1647. It came into possession of the Cootes, who
leased it to the Elys. Richard Ely partially restored it in the
1830s but when he was murdered, the castle lay neglected for many
decades. It was bought by its present owners in 1990 and restored.
It has many interesting features including a Sheela-na-Gig.
Visitors are given a guided tour.